Mari El is a republic located in the MiddleThe Volga region, among the many forest lakes, for which it was called "blue-eyed." Its capital is Yoshkar-Ola, or the Red (beautiful) city. Half the population is Russian, and, despite the fact that most of the natives are adherents of the traditional local pagan religion, in the capital of the republic, in the eighteenth century, the first Orthodox churches were built.
Operating temples of Yoshkar-Ola:
In addition to the existing in the city, several new churches are being built.
Now the cathedral of the city isAscension. To it are attributed the temples of Yoshkar-Ola - Voskresensky, Tikhvinsky and Troitsky. The building of the cathedral was built in 1756. Unfortunately, this temple, like many others, did not escape the long period of service by no means to Christ. In 1937 it was closed and handed over to the brewery. The belfry was demolished, and the building itself was gradually collapsing. In the mid-nineties of the twentieth century, collection of donations for the restoration of the cathedral began. After the restoration, the church became three-fold. The Thrones are consecrated in the name of:
The Yoshkar-Ola temples built in the eighteenthcentury, such as Voznesensky, Voskresensky and Troitsky, are typical examples of Russian architecture of that time. Now the interior of the Holy Trinity Church is complemented by painting executed in the traditions of the Byzantine and Athos schools of temple painting. The church choir of the Trinity Church took the second place at the republican competition among similar collectives.
Sunday school works at the church. The main activity of the school is the study of children by God's law, the foundations of Orthodox culture and church singing. At school there are some circles of needlework, a musical circle.
The temples of Yoshkar-Ola began to be built in the seventeenthcentury. In 1646, the oldest of them was mentioned - the wooden Trinity Church. In 1736, with the money of a local merchant and peasant, the construction of a stone church began. By 1757 the construction was completed. A large number of shrines were kept in the temple. There was among them an image of the Savior carved from a tree. On it Christ is depicted sitting in a dungeon in a crown of thorns. Judging by the inscription available, the image was donated to the church by a certain archer in 1695. The Orthodox of the whole city especially revered him. Many came from far away only to worship him. Numerous cases of healing through prayers are known in this manner. Unfortunately, during difficult Soviet times, when the church was closed, the icon had to be moved to another church, where it is now.
The church survived until 1932year, when it was closed and handed over to the museum of local lore. In seven years the building was dismantled to the first floor and abandoned until 1991. In this year he was finally returned to the church. Reconstruction began. After twelve years, the repair of the lower floor was completed. It was consecrated in the name of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker of the throne of the lower aisle. Another five years left for the restoration of the upper floor. His throne is consecrated in the name of the Most Holy Life-giving Trinity. Since 2008 the church has been fully functioning. The kind that the temple has today is significantly different from the original one.