SEARCH

The giant planets - what do we know about them?

Since the twentieth century, space has been actively explored by humans. Although the ancients also knew enough about luminaries, planets, comets. Celestial objects have always attracted the attention of a person.

Planet Giants

About 4.5 billion years ago,The system in which the planet Earth is located is Solar. The main object of the system is the star Sun. Approximately 99% of the total mass of the system falls precisely on this star. And only 1% falls on the remaining planets and objects. At the same time, 99% of the remaining mass is giant planets.

The giants of the system include Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus,Neptune. Jupiter is the largest of the planets. Its mass is approximately 318 times the mass of the Earth. And if we put together all other planets, then its mass exceeds the mass of these planets by 2.5 times. It is characterized by two main components: hydrogen and helium. Jupiter is famous for a large number of satellites. They have 65. And the largest, Ganymede, is much larger than the planet Mercury. Also, the satellites of Jupiter are similar in some respects to the planets of the terrestrial group.

Planets giants interesting facts

Saturn is well recognized by the system of rings. Takes second place in the group of "giant planets". 95 times heavier than the Earth. The composition of the planet is similar to Jupiter, but has a very small density, which is similar to the density of water. Saturn has 62 satellites. Titan is the only satellite in the solar system that has a significant atmosphere.

The third largest planet is Uranus, from the outerit is the easiest planet. Its mass is 14 times greater than the earth's. Remarkably, around the Sun, Uranus rotates "on its side." It seems to roll in its orbit. Emits a huge amount of heat into space, while having a cooler core than other gas giants. It has 27 satellites.

Gas giants

Next in size, but not in mass, the planet -Neptune. The mass of Neptune is equal to 17 masses of the Earth. It is denser, but does not emit as much heat into space as, for example, Saturn or Jupiter. Neptune has 13 satellites (which are known to science). The largest is Triton. On it are geysers of liquid nitrogen. Triton moves in the opposite direction and is accompanied by asteroids.

The giant planets have their own characteristics. The time of their turnover around their axis does not exceed eighteen hours. And they rotate unevenly - layers. The belt of the equator rotates fastest. This circumstance is caused by the fact that these planets are not solid, and at the poles they are compressed much more densely. The basis of Jupiter and Saturn - helium and hydrogen, Uranus and Neptune contain ammonia, water and methane.

The giant planets: interesting facts

1. Gas giants - planets without surface. Gases their atmospheres are condensed to the center, turning into a liquid.

2. In the center of the giants there is a dense core, in which, according to scientists, contains hydrogen with metallic properties. This hydrogen conducts electric current, due to which the planets have a magnetic field.

3. Virtually all natural satellites of the solar system belong to the planets of this group.

4. All the planets in this group have rings. But only Saturn has pronounced rings; in others, they are insignificant and hardly distinguishable.

  • Rating: