One of the most famous and popular attractions of the capital of France is the House of Disabled. We propose to learn about the history of its origin and related interesting facts.
This structure is a complexbuildings located in the 7th district of the city. In French, this place is called Les Invalides. There are monuments and museums connected with the military history of the country. In addition, there is a nursing home and a hospital for veterans. Thus, the building is used not only as an attraction and a monument, but also for its intended purpose. As for the history, here are the museums of the Army, Contemporary History, Plans and Reliefs. In addition, the complex houses the tombs of a number of French military heroes, the most famous of which is Napoleon.
House of the disabled in Paris began to be erectedthanks to the decree of King Louis XIV, dated 1670. This building was to become a shelter and hospital for sick and aged soldiers. The architect of this building was the Liberal Bryan. As of 1676, most of the buildings were completed. The facade of the House of Disabled was almost 200 meters long, and the complex numbered fifteen courtyards, the largest of which was intended for parades. The construction project also included a church, the erection of which was completed after the death of architect Bruan in 1979. It was given the name St. Louis des Invalides. Soon after its construction, the architect Monsar began the erection of a new church dedicated solely to the king. For her model was taken St. Peter's Cathedral in Rome. The structure was harmonious and magnificent and became one of the symbols of the Baroque architecture of France. Thanks to the majestic view, the church is often called the Cathedral of the House of Disabled.
Certainly, one of the most famousThe attractions of the complex are the tomb of Napoleon in the House of Disabled. Originally, the Emperor was buried in St. Helena, where he died. However, in 1840, King Louis Philippe organized the movement of his body to the church of St. Jerome. The House of the Disabled in Paris is also the burial place of several members of the Napoleon family who served under him as military officers and other French military heroes.
Going on an excursion to the Disabled House inParis, many tourists try to visit this attraction without fail. The collection of the Museum of the Army covers the period from antiquity to modern times. It was founded in 1871 and at first was called the Museum of Artillery. At that time, the word "artillery" meant a variety of items related to weapons. In 1896 the Museum of the History of the Army was established. In 1905, it was decided to merge the two museums. Today in the Museum of the Army there are almost half a million exhibits, including armor, weapons, uniforms, posters, paintings, books and much more. The total area of the exposition is 12 thousand square meters. All collections are divided by historical periods, and visitors have the opportunity to make a kind of journey from the ancient world to the 20th century.
The history of this structure dates back to 1668of the year. It was at that time that the military minister of King Louis XIV, Francois-Michelle Le Tellier, began to collect a collection of three-dimensional models of fortified cities. This was done exclusively for military purposes. Particular attention in layouts was given to urban fortifications and topographical features of the landscape (hills, ports, etc.). In 1700 the king ordered to move the collection to the Louvre. At first the models were made by military engineers in the field. However, in 1743 two workshops were created for these purposes, in Lille and Béthune. Most of the mock-ups presented in the exhibition were produced during and after the war for the Austrian inheritance, which lasted from 1741 to 1748. The purpose of their creation was a graphic representation of newly captured cities. The collection was significantly renewed in 1754. Subsequently, its exhibits almost ceased to be used. In 1774 the collection was almost destroyed as a result of the fact that the gallery of the Louvre, where it was located, decided to reorient to painting. But in 1777 the exhibition was moved to the House of the Disabled in Paris, where it is still today. In total, the museum today stores about a hundred layouts. The public is only shown 28 relief plans of fortifications, which were located along the English Channel, as well as the Mediterranean and Atlantic coasts and the Pyrenees.
Initially, this institution was established in 1914and was a military museum-library. In 1973, it was moved to the House of Disabled, and in 1987 received the current name, which reflects the essence of the collections that are relevant not only to military operations. Today in the Museum of Contemporary History there are more than one and a half million exhibits, which are dated from the period from 1870 to the present. The collection gathered here covers the main periods of both French and international history, through the illumination of social, cultural and political problems through paintings, engravings, sculptures, drawings, posters, postcards, photographs and other objects. In addition to permanent, there are often held and a variety of interesting temporary exhibitions.
A high sparkling dome of one of the buildings of thisThe complex became one of the main landmarks of the French capital. Numerous tourists attract the attraction to both the magnificent architecture, the unique interior of the churches, and the museums and trophy guns displayed opposite the Invalides Square. However, the complex is not only a historical and cultural landmark of Paris - the House of Disabled performs its direct function. So, within its walls today live almost one hundred veterans, about which the state cares.