The land on which Mogilev now stands, peoplehave been chosen for ancient settlements in prehistoric times. At first these settlements were located on the right-bank Dnieper islands, but later, when the communities began to quarrel among themselves, people began to search for places where they could not only live and keep a house, but also hide in a moment of danger. This forced a man to settle on high parts, where in time there were so-called fortifications.
Mogilev is a city of regional subordination in the easternpart of Belarus. The population of Mogilev is on the third place in the republic and continues to grow. Folk tradition connects the name of the city with the name of the hero Masheka, on whose grave a large mound named "The Tomb of the Lion" was planted. The national poet of Belarus reworked this legend in the poem of the same name.
For the first time Mogilev is mentioned in 1267 in the "List of cities of distant and near", dating from the end of the 14th century. In the 15th century, the city was one of the important points on the trade routes leading from east to west and from north to south, it had its own customs. On January 28, 1577, Grand Duke Stefan Batory appropriated Mogilev's first coat of arms. In the years 1590-1592. the first general educational fraternal school in which the Old Belorussian and Latin languages were studied was opened in the city. December 13, 1595 Cossack pens S. Nalivaiko burned almost half of Mogilev, including several churches, and destroyed a significant number of townspeople. After this attack, the city was restored for many years. In the early 17th century, Mogilev was one of the largest cities of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania and had the right to hold two regular fairs. In 1616, when the Mogilev Brotherhood began working printing house, which during the 17-18 centuries. about 40 books were published. In 1632, the only Orthodox diocese was founded in Belarus at that time. In 1722 he joined the Russian Empire, where he became the center of the same name of the republic. During the war of 1812, the city was occupied for some time by the French troops. In the First World War, Tsar Nicholas II stayed here. During the Second World War from July 1941 to June 1944 Mogilev was under German occupation.
The population of Mogilev is not the most numerous inBelarus, so the city did not become the cultural capital of the country, however, there are a lot of beautiful and memorable places in this city. If you find yourself in Belarus, you should definitely visit Mogilev. Here are just some of the sights of this city.
The construction of the monastery began in the 17th century. At the beginning of the next century, he was attacked by Swedes and significantly damaged during the fire. During the persecution during the Soviet era the monastery was plundered, and in 1934 it was closed. Completely restored and restored the monastery was only in the late 90's.
Architectural record of the 17th-19th centuries. It was built in 1604 by the order of King Sigismund III, who was the owner of the city land in Mogilev. In 1810 the church was rebuilt in the style of classicism.
An architectural monument in the central part of the city. The population of Mogilev considers it a symbol of his city. The construction of the Town Hall began in 1578. Originally it was built of wood, so it often suffered during fires and even completely burned out. On September 4, 1679, construction of a new stone building began. The main building was erected by 1681. In September 1708, the Town Hall was again damaged by the fire, but was quickly restored. In height, the new building surpassed all others in the city. It was from here that Empress Catherine II admired the outskirts of the city of Mogilev. During the Great Patriotic War, the Town Hall was almost completely destroyed. In the 1950s a decision was taken to restore the architectural monument, but the restoration began only in the 90s. The grand opening of the Mogilev Town Hall took place during the celebration of the city's day in 2008.
The main Orthodox church in the city of Mogilev,a monument of architecture of the early 20th century. The name of the temple echoes with its distinctive feature - the opportunity to enter the building from three sides. Construction began in 1903 and lasted 11 years. In 1914 the church, crowned with seven domes and built in the shape of a cross, was completed. In 1961, during the persecution, the church was closed, but in 1889 it was returned to the faithful. Today the Cathedral of the Three Saints is proud of the whole Mogilev. The center of the Orthodox life of the city is located in this church.
One of the largest cities in Belarus is constantlygrows and develops. According to the General Plan of the city, the population of Mogilev will grow by 30 thousand people by 2030. In this regard, it is planned to expand the territory of the city and the construction of new facilities. G. Mogilev is a large industrial center. There are more than 60 enterprises of machine building, metalworking, and metallurgy in the city. The city has long been known as a major center of crafts and art crafts. Mogilev is a promising center for tourism development in Belarus.
The climate in Mogilev is moderately continental.The geographical position of the city affects weather conditions. The weather in Mogilev will please with softness. Even in summer, the air temperature does not exceed the permissible level. Rains fall quite often, but quickly end, so you can visit the city and see its sights at any time of the year.