December 7, 2003 among the residents of Permand the Komi-Permyatsky Autonomous Okrug, a referendum was held on the merger of these subjects of the Russian Federation. According to the results of its December 1, 2005 on the map of Russia appeared Perm Territory.
The first information about the peoples who inhabited the territorythe present Perm region, appear in the chronicle "The Tale of Bygone Years", where it is said that Russia collected tribute from the inhabitants of the Kama region. Later, the powerful merchants and mining workers of Stroganov owned the rivers along the banks of the Kama in the region of the confluence of the Chusovaya River. The history of the capital of the region as a city begins in 1723, from the moment of the construction of a copper smelting plant near the mouth of another tributary of the Kama River, the Yoshoshi River.
Four hundred years before that, she had become famousenlightening activity of the legendary Saint Stephen of Perm. His tireless missionary work greatly contributed to the inclusion of the Perm territories in the Moscow state. He was the author of the written language of many peoples of the Kama region, the Komi, Zyryans, Permyaks, actively introduced Orthodoxy in those places where he later became a bishop in the work of the Perm Diocese formed by him. The gospel in the golden salary, included in the coat of arms of the Perm region, is widely considered a tribute to this enlightener.
Choice as the main symbol of the capitalThe history of the bear is explained by the existence of the cult of this beast among the tribes inhabiting those regions. Perhaps, it was with the pagan totems that the bear moved to the press, with which the documents of the first Perm governors were attached, and then on the coat of arms of the Perm region.
Liberty of artistic interpretation of the image"Master of the taiga", which is characteristic of various historical images of the Permian symbol, has generated among historians - professionals and amateurs - many versions. On the first distinct artefact of Russian heraldry - the Great State Seal of Ivan the Terrible (XVI century) - the letters "Permian Seal" are surrounded by a certain beast, more like a fox.
Similar images appearing in moreLater time - for example, on the Saadach cover of the throne of Mikhail Fedorovich Romanov - often also little resembled the formidable Toptygin, having more in common with a sheep, a wolverine, a polar fox or a large cat. At the same time, the bear invariably was present in the description.
During the reforms of Catherine II the city of Perm, which becamethe provincial center, was to receive the symbolism developed according to uniform rules. The coat of arms of the Perm region of that time was officially approved on July 17, 1783: in the scarlet field there is a silver bear, on which the Gospel is placed in a golden setting, at the top is a silver four-pointed broadened cross, and below is the earth.
This story, preserved in main features beforethis time, first appeared in another famous Russian herbarium - "Titular" by Tsar Alexis Mikhailovich (1672). Then it was repeated on the banners of the Perm Regiments, on official seals of the capital of Perm governorship and other cities that were part of it.
Based on the coat of arms, approved by Alexander II in1856, the coat of arms and the flag of the Perm region were developed with the revival of state symbols, which began after the collapse of the USSR. A shield containing an old heraldic plot with a walking bear with the Gospel on its back and a four-pointed cross crowned the imperial crown and adorned a wreath of golden oak leaves intertwined with St. Andrew's ribbon.
In Soviet times, new editions appearedhistorical emblem of Perm and the Perm region. In it, religious and monarchical symbols were replaced by elements more appropriate to communist ideology. A cross over a walking bear was replaced by a five-pointed star, and in an open book a reference to a collection of divine texts could only be recognized by a historian.
To develop an ideologically maturePerm emblem in 1967 was held a competition. The winners were offered a variant in which the historical coat of arms, devoid of religious and autocratic subtext, was used in the form of a small emblem at the bottom of the shield, and the main ones were other symbols: a monument to fighters for the cause of the revolution established in the famous Perm-Motovilikha district - and the outgoing radiance, embodying the energy the power of the region.
With the administrative association of the Perm regionand the Permian Komi Autonomous Okrug, a working group was established that tried to develop heraldic elements that unite the symbols of the two regions. As a result, it was decided to create the emblem and flag of the Perm region on the basis of the emblem of its capital. In addition to the declared stability and adherence to traditions in this case, it was noted that the bear, like no other symbol, is suitable for indigenous peoples inhabiting the region. He is included in their ancient and modern culture in the form of fairy tales, songs, legends, objects of folk crafts, etc.
Since 2007, the State Heraldicthe register of the Russian Federation is included and the coat of arms of the Perm region. What is meant by each element, its constituent, can be understood from the description and comments of the specialists who were involved in the reconstruction of historical symbols of the region: